Sunday, May 31, 2009

Letter 16

May 25th, 2009
Balad. Iraq

Everyone:

I hope this letter finds everyone well. I wanted to spend some time talking about Memorial Day. This as always been a special solemn day for me, but this year it seems that I have been more introspective. Perhaps, it is because I am in Iraq, maybe it is that I have had friends that have been killed in action. Either way, I will try to organize my thoughts a bit below, but I ask to please take the time to think of our military members who have given everything for our freedoms.

The first picture that I want to include is actually from my Afghanistan deployment in 2004-2005. This is so very personal to me that it is a bit hard to type this. This is a picture from our fallen comrade ceremony when four soldiers from our task force were killed by a road side bomb. I knew all them.


The military always uses symbolism with its ceremonies. In this case the helmet and identification tags signify the fallen soldier. The inverted rifle with bayonet signals a time for prayer, a break in the action to pay tribute to our comrade. The combat boots represent the final march of the last battle.

I include this pictures so that we all do not lose sight of what Memorial Day is and represents. The World does not stop, when sometimes we all wish it would. However, we can stop for a few seconds…remember not just the fallen soldiers but the families and friends who have lost part of their lives as well.

I guess the above picture summarize my thoughts better than words will ever do. I have included below several editorial cartoons for Memorial Day that I think are very appropriate:


Thank you to all the Veterans who are reading this for your sacrifices. Thank you for paving the way for us. We current soldiers remember your sacrifices, and will never forget! I am very proud to be part of a family (both mine and my wife’s side) that have a history of service.

The irony behind this letter is that while composing the ideas for it, our base took another aggressive mortar attack. There were three soldiers injured when the mortars landed in a living area not far from us. Fortunately, nobody from our task force was injured. There was also later an Iraqi that came to our gate that had a portion of his hand traumatically injured. Turns out that this Iraqi was probably the same guy that actually fired the mortars! Of course our base treated him. I wonder what the insurgents would have done if it was the reverse situation. I guess that is what separates us from them. The worse part of indirect fire attacks (mortar, rockets) is that you cannot fight back, and the randomness of what they are going to strike. You just have to get down or in a bunker and hope it is not close.

I think it is time to lighten the tone of the letter. Below is a picture of an old anti-aircraft Iraqi weapon that probably has been at this location next to the airstrip since we first came here.


There are some interesting things in this picture. First, if you look behind the tree on the right you will see an old Iraqi bunker. In typical American fashion on top of the bunker is a little gazebo that we built. I am sure it is for smoking, and hanging out. You can also see the main control tower in the background. The picture below is of a convoy that just entered our base. They park near our clinic. That is because the PX and MWR building is close:

The large vehicles are all called MRAPs (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected). They are designed to protect against road side bombs. They are amazing and I know that I have mentioned them before, but they really are saving lives. Look at how much bigger they are then the Humvee next to it. I like this picture as I was able to get the Indiana street sign in it as well. The “guns” on the vehicles are all .50 caliber machine guns. This is a pretty well armed convoy group. My last three pictures for this letter are more aircraft type pictures as these are pretty popular. The first is a close view of an F-16:



Amazing! These things are very loud when they use their afterburners as they take off. They do this to quickly gain altitude to be out of range of any enemy fire. This of course rattles my CHU! The picture below is of a Kiowa Warrior:


Remember in a previous email I mentioned that all helicopters are named after Native American Indians. This is the Kiowa. Specifically, the Kiowa Warrior as it has rocket pods. I am not sure if you can see them in this picture. This is a small recon helicopter that is very fast and mobile.
I want to close this letter with the idea of how it started. Below is a picture of a pair of Blackhawk MEDEVAC helicopters landing at the hospital here in Balad. These were carrying injured soldiers.


Thank you to everyone who continues to support me and my family. I am on the home stretch now. I should be home sometime in August so we are under our 90 day window and are officially “short-timers”. Please continue to pray for all the soldiers, marines, airman, and sailors that are here defending all of our freedom. NEVER FORGET all those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice and gave all. NEVER FORGET that we live in the greatest nation on Earth with endless opportunities only because people have been willing to fight and die for the idea of freedom. I know it is past Memorial Day, but when you get this letter please pause for 10 seconds and give a prayer for all the service members, especially the families. Make sure to include the families that have had a service member die. Thank you again for supporting all the troops!

Major Roscoe

No comments: