Sunday, September 7, 2008

Letter 1

August 31, 2008
Fort Lewis, Washington

Everyone:

This is my first letter chronicling my journey to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The intent is to tell my story as I am living it…for better and for worse. This letter is staring off during a very difficult time for me. Minutes ago I said goodbye to each of my four children, and to my wife. I wish that I could say that it is easier doing this a second time but it is not. In fact, I have found it to be much harder this time. My children are older and I have grown much closer to them. There are times when I feel as if my heart has been ripped from my chest, and I find myself wishing I did not have to leave my family. However, doing the right thing is always hard, and serving my country is bigger than my family and my wants. God does not hand us trials that we cannot handle.

These emotions are tempered by the pride I have in serving my Country, the pride in knowing that I will be caring for our soldiers. I take comfort in knowing that my family will be taken care of and all the amazing support that my family and I have received from Butler, from St. Thomas Aquinas, and all the surrounding community. I am amazed at how strong my wife is, how she can essentially be a single working mother of four…and do such a fantastic job. I cannot fathom the professional phase PA students throwing a surprise going away party and providing a digital camera so that I can share pictures with you. I cannot fathom the COPHS community and the office of Advancement throwing a surprise party and donating the funds for my family to get a flag pole for our yard. The meals that the parishioners from St. Thomas have already started to bring to my house. Simply put: THANK YOU…I love each and every one of you. We (my family and I) cannot do this without you, and our soldiers are only as strong as our community.

Below is a picture of Shelby and I at the farewell ceremony at Camp Atterbury.


If you look closely at the picture I believe the lead singer of Megadeth (rock band) is standing against the wall. Anyway, we left Camp Atterbury and flew in the middle of the night to Fort Lewis, Washington. It is between Tacoma and Seattle. The weather here cannot be more different. It has been in the 60s and 70s during the day and cold at night. This morning I saw my breath at our morning 5:30 formation.

This base is very old. We are living in barracks that were constructed for WWII. My uncle who served in Vietnam actually stayed in these same barracks. Below is a picture of my building….I think, they all look the same.

If you turn about 45 degrees to the right of the above picture, you get the picture below:


At the other end of my building here is the view:


I think you can appreciate all similar all the buildings are to each other. The last building on the left (the small one) is actually our chow hall. We share the chow hall with a large group of Air Force soldiers and some Navy soldiers. I am sure that the Air Force is getting paid substandard housing as there is not a concierge available.

It is actually really pretty here. There are trees, specifically pine trees everywhere. The weather is pretty nice, and I am able to work on teaching more class at Butler with relative stability. Speaking of that let me show you my desk that I have been using to teach from…I have made a deal with some crusty old supply sergeants and they are going to work to get me a “real desk”

Yes…It is three old footlockers in a closet. Hopefully, I can “upgrade” with my supply deal. Those of you with a military background know how important these “black ops” are. Below is the barracks that I am staying in from the inside.


Notice the strong decorating influence of the “barn motif”. The person looking back at the camera is 1LT McFarland, another PA…nothing but the best for our fine medical officers. Major Romig and I have it slightly better as we are “Senior PAs” and “higher ranking”. If I turned 180 degrees, there is my lecture closet and another small room where we get to sleep. Below is my bed and just out of view is Major Romig’s bed.



It really is no different then all the other beds except we do have a door. I must show you our latrine…I know who wants to see a bathroom? Well, from my previous deployment, it was actually one of the most common requested pictures…really!


I think that there might be two more sinks on the left side. To the right is four stalls with doors! Moving past the washer you move to below:


Cozy is the only word to describe the showers…yes that is the wall to the left…there is actually one more shower head that you cannot see. We have to set block shower times for obvious reasons. Actually we are better off than the other barracks as we only have 22 guys in our building. It will actually be nicer once we get to Iraq.

We have been training but the days have still been slow. We did receive our new body armor and I feel like a Middle Ages knight as it takes at least two people (squires) to get into the system. I will save that for the next letter. I hope everybody is doing well. I miss everybody…sorry PA1 class that I am not there, but I hope you are enjoying my lecture videos. Yes, I actually do laugh at my own jokes. I will try to get another letter out within the next two weeks. Keep praying for Shelby and the kids, if you have time throw a prayer my way as well. Remember to keep the soldiers in your thoughts as well.


CPT Mike Roscoe

10 comments:

sahack said...

Mike,
I think it's great you are keeping this journal, especially for the kids. As you know, you, michelle and kids are always in our prayers. Today is michelles b-day so we will all be calling her later. Thank you for what you are doing for us and our future. We all love you.
stacey, john and clan

sahack said...

One more thing...the Colts loss last nite was less bitter only due to a certain injured Pat. Don't ya think?

Jennifer said...

Mike-
I love the blog! I like seeing the pics and reading about what you're experiencing. It's also nice to still get to laugh at your humor. Like Stacey said, Michelle, the kids, & you are always in our thoughts and prayers!
Jennifer

johnnie said...

Mike-

I read the journal and something you said bothered me-"serving my country is bigger than my family and my wants". I was taught our priorities should be in order of importance (I will admit I struggle):

1. God
2. Vocation-In our case marriage
3. Family-Children, others
4. Avocation-Job, Career

Where do you feel your Army duties fit in this list?

Johnnie

Amy said...

Thanks for everything you do Mike.

It's just not the same at work without you. No one harrasses me, no me makes me laugh like you can, I actually get work done...

When you need that P&A, let me know and I'll find some reasonable therapeutic substitutions. :o)

Take care of yourself!
Amy

mroscoe said...

Johnnie:

I will address your comments on my next blog posting which should be in the next few days.

M.E.S. said...

Mike,

We are so proud of you! We admire you, Michelle and the kids, all of our soldiers and all military families for your self-sacrifice for the Common Good. You remain in our thoughts and prayers are you prepare for deployment.

Love,
Mary
a.k.a. "BT" :o)

Anonymous said...

Prof. Roscoe,
As soon as you post a new letter, the screens of all of our laptops (okay, yes... during lecture) pop one-by-one to your blog. You are such an ispiration to me, in your dedication to your profession, your students, your family, your country, and God. I think I can speak for all of my classmates when I say that we are all thinking of you and the rest of our troops. Thank you for all you do!

Cassie Sheets

P.S. WAS there water available in the Dasani machine??

Unknown said...

mike....
well my father is in ur unit and is deploying w/ u....he was w/ in atterbery too.....well my fathers name is mike jones......he is a medic....ummmm well u r so brave and thank you 4 all u do...well i am goin to seattle to say goodbye....and i want to wish u luck....love readng ur blogs.....it helps me.......welll thanks 4 all u do and ALL the other soldiers.......we ALL will be praying....COME HOME SAFE.....well thank u.....and dad i love u.....

thank u all,
lincy jones

Unknown said...

Mike,
I like the over wiegh turtle comment. Just had the best image in my head! Going to be hard to replace that one! Hope everything is going well.
Keep you ass low and your chin up!
Gareth